Thursday, January 10

Cooking Lab

I have consented to (and purchased ingredients for) my very first cooking lab as a teacher. I couldn't find any marking guidelines or anything for how the exerience is to be used/directed. I'm really rather frustrated with the lack of information. It's no good having an EA walk into your class and say that a student is supposed to be taken out when you haven't given the homework questions. Fortunately, the EA organizer person took me aside today and let me know who needs stuff modified, who might curl up in the fetal position and refuse to speak to me (more than one actually), and some other behavioural things. Sure would have changed how I dealt with some of those students if I had known beforehand. I get that it's better for a teacher to form a new opinion of students, but you do have to let a teacher know when they need to modify questions or what to do with students who regularly refuse to communicate. Mostly I just feel mediocre. I just don't have the experience to do justice for my students. It will help knowing about the students (although I'm already forgetting which is which). Mostly I just need more time to plan stuff. Good thing tomorrow is Friday. I'm bad though - I have a class tomorrow for which I have not planned (Yikes!). I also want to get Monday's planning done in the morning so that I can use rest of day Friday and all day Saturday for more long-term planning. I'd like to get the rest of the semester planned out (sounds lofty but it's only 11 days after tomorrow). I'd also like to get an eye on what's coming up next semester.

I'm so tired when I get home that I hardly feel like eating, let alone preparing something. I've had KD twice since moving here when I was only planning on having it twice a month - at the most. At least I don't have to worry about going to bed at such a reasonable hour on Friday - I won't be going to school at 7:30 on Saturday. I might pop by to catch some of the basketball tournament and/or plan, but I'd like to do lots of my planning at home. I also want to try to get some time to just relax and remember that I'm still me (if I can remember who that is...)

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Praying for you so much Heather as you adjust to this journey. A cooking lab sounds like fun - I'm sure the students will appreciate that. Hope you get everything done this weekend that you want to.

Lisa Lu said...

Oh, Heather I can totally relate to you now...being a new mom...having to live it with no experience to gain the experience! What a frustration! Keep trucking...it'll come!